Saturday, March 30, 2013

One dress pattern, three different looks

Back story #1:
I was quite content to buy the girl's Easter dresses this year.  In fact, I was looking forward to not sewing something huge for the holiday.  However, when I went to pick up Abigail from Sunday school a couple of weeks ago, her teacher told me that another little girl had announced that her Mom had bought her an Easter dress from Costco, and I guess Miss Abigail piped up, "My Mom is going to sew me my Easter dress."  So, the challenge had been issued.  I'm sure that Abigail probably wouldn't remember if I hadn't sewed her a dress, but I think part of intentional parenting is to try and not let them down.  And besides, it might only be a couple of more years and they aren't going to want to wear what I make them.

Back story #2:
I have a friend named Janice.  She has a daughter who is the same age as Annika named Miss G.  Janice and I were talking the other day, and she had mentioned that she found someone to sew a pillowcase dress for Miss G and it would only cost her $30.00.  I looked at her like she had two heads and told her she could find a pillowcase for $2.00 at Value Village and I wouldn't charge her to sew the thing because they don't take that long.

Present story:
I raided my somewhat extensive fabric stash and found some pretty eyelet.  Pink for Abigail and a cream with purple flowers for Annika.  Annika took one look at it and turned up her nose, so I let her pick out what she wanted to wear.  She picked lace.  I also had a very pretty purple material that quite possibly could be taffeta.  I've had it for almost 10 years and had never put it to use, so I decided to make Miss G a dress that was NOT a pillowcase!

Do you remember the Christmas dresses I made?  Since I liked that pattern so much, I decided to use it again to make the Easter dresses.

Dress #1 ~ Miss G
 
 
If you remember from the Christmas dresses, there is a band on the bottom of the dress that is supposed to match the sash.  However, I didn't want the dress to look cheap, since the sash fabric is cotton.  I made the bottom band out of the same material as the main body of the dress.  The bodice is fully lined, and so I used the butterfly fabric for that.  I think it turned out really nice and Miss G (and her Mama) like it.
 
Dress #2 ~ Annika
 
 
 
 Like I mentioned earlier, Annika picked lace.  This is a bit of a surprise for her, since she is not my girly-girl.  I have never sewed with lace before, so I was up for the challenge, but it was quite frustrating at times.  I think half of it was from the lace getting stuck on the foot of my sewing machine and half of it was the lining was really slippery.  I persevered however, and the final project is quite pretty!
 
 
Dress #3 ~ Abigail
 
 
 
I think if I had to wear any of these dresses, I would pick Abigail's.  I have a fondness for eyelet, and since I was saving money and going cheap for this project, I searched my house for something I could use for the lining.  I had half of a white sheet left over from a different sewing project, but there wasn't enough to fully line the dress.  I used the white for the bottom band and lined the dress with a pink sheet that I had from my childhood.  I think I could safely say that it was approximately 20 years old.  It was still in good shape, and there's nothing like a well washed piece of cotton next to your skin.  It is so soft, I think it would be very comfortable to wear!
 
And then, because my Mom guilt set in that I wasn't making anything for Tyler, I'm going to be whipping him up a new bowtie and a pair of suspenders...but they aren't made yet, so I couldn't post a picture.  Here's a picture of Tyler though, that boy has a sixth sense when it comes to me pulling out a camera, he always wants his picture taken!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the dresses! They all turned out beautifully. You are amazing...& a wonderful Mom in trying not to let your kids down (in situations like this....). Glad you included a pic of Tyler to end it! lol
    What a cutie - his smile lights up the world!! HAPPY EASTER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome. I just said to Mark, I wish I could be near you more so the my sewing ability would grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, come visit this summer and we'll spend a day sewing!

      Delete
  3. The dresses are beautiful! Can't wait to see pictures from your Disneyland trip.

    ReplyDelete