Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A baby boy birthday bash (say that 5 times fast)

It was Tyler's first birthday on Sunday, so we had a family party in the evening for him.  I'm very blessed with parents and parent-in-laws that come to celebrate my children's birthdays.  That makes me happy.

On the menu for this evening was pork chops a la king, mixed vegetables and birthday cake.  Oh, the poor birthday cake.  I wanted to cry.  I had this brilliant idea to make a simple cake in a 9X13 pan, and then cut it into three, thus making a three layer number one.  I got blueberry pie mix to put in the middle of each layer...and I found this really cool pin on pinterest for edible glitter.

Oh pinterest.  I really should stop pinning things before I click on them to see if they actually are what they say they are.  Even though all of the instructions were in the comments, I clicked on the pin to take me to the actual website where the original instructions were.  Well.  I got there, and instead of edible glitter, I found non-toxic glitter, which is made with salt.  Not sugar.  My friend Sally and I decided to look up the melting temperature for sugar, and found it to be around 295 degrees.  The directions called for the sugar to be put in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Sally thought that we would have melted sugar when it was all said and done, but we figured we would try it anyway.  One does not know if something is going to work until one tries it.  Isn't that a pretty color?  We were cautiously optimistic at about this point that it was actually going to work, mainly because I think that it would have made very pretty glitter.


After our 10 minutes was up in the oven.  Notice the dark blue spots?  Yep, the sugar melted.  And, it definitely did NOT look like glitter.


Oh well, I can live with that.  I still had a really nice cake, right?  Wrong.


The cake on the right is the top layer which slid right off the cake.  I was so frustrated.

Sunday started with a picture of the birthday boy.


Then we got into our birthday outfit.  Do you know how hard it is to find a shirt that has NOTHING on it?  Practically impossible.  This romper is the best I could do.  As is the picture.  Now that this boy can crawl, there's no stopping him.


Here's the birthday boy eating his dinner.  He gobbled it right up. 


And here's the cake.  I'm so sad about this...still.  I really need to get over it.


There were no complaints from Tyler about his cake.  He enjoyed it quite a bit.


Abigail informed me that she couldn't see anything, so I gave her my glasses to wear.  Clark mentioned that she looked a lot like me.  I have to agree with him on that one.


Annika wanted to get in on the glasses wearing as well.


And now I leave you with the CUTEST video of Tyler.  He was making these funny noises deep in his throat that made everyone laugh.  Make sure your volume is turned up so you can hear him!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing his birthday with us! LOVE his 'sounds' - so cute! I LOVE his laugh too - it "ripples". It's so unique. I was enjoying it at the park yesterday too. :)
    Love the girls with glasses too. They are all precious. xo

    ReplyDelete