Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Unplugged

It's very rare at my house that during the day I get to sit down and watch television.  If I do...it's usually Disney Junior.  While I like Mickey Mouse as much as the next guy, it doesn't really stimulate my mind!  However, one day a couple of weeks ago....maybe months...the days all blur together....I got to watch Anderson Cooper.  I think he's trying to be the next Oprah.  Clark says that he's like Ryan Seacrest (as in EVERYWHERE).  Anyway, he had a family on there that were addicted to their technology, and he sent them to live with another family that had gotten away from it all and bought a farm that didn't have running water or electricity.  I forgot how long they were there, but they said that it was nice to unplug.  Anderson then had someone else on there who gave tips for having a slower life.  One of the suggestions was to unplug once a week ~ no TV, Internet, cell phones. 

I have to admit, I'm the mother that sends her kids to watch TV so I can get housework done.  So, I thought it might be a good thing to unplug once a week.  I was going to do Tuesdays, since we go to a Mom's group at our church in the mornings.  It would be very easy to tack on the afternoon.  Then I thought, if I was going to be intentional about this, I would pick a day where we didn't have something else to do already.  So, Thursdays it is!  I'm being a good wife and picked a day where Clark typically works, so I'm not making him become unplugged with us...he already spends most of his day commuting or at work, so when he gets home, he's allowed to watch TV! 

I informed the girls tonight of our unplugged plans for tomorrow.  They didn't look very impressed with me.  However, I told them that they had to keep me accountable as well...Annika liked that idea.  I guess any situation where she gets to boss her Mom around is all right with her!  I hope we can do it.  It might be tough for a bit, but at least I have warmer weather to look forward to, then I can send little girls outside!

8 comments:

  1. I could unplug the TV without an issue. The computer and Internet though... Hmmm, I will have to think about that one. Tomorrow you say. I think I will join you. I'm going to turn the computer off and will turn it back on after Thursday. In past experiences, there is quickly less desire to turn things back on. But once you do, they become as addicted as before quite quickly. Thanks for the challenge!

    ps. I like the new layout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm trying to think spring! Maybe you should REALLY join me some Thursday and come for a visit!!!!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I hope it's fun. And not too hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a lot easier tomorrow if YOU COME SWIMMING!!!!! :)

      Delete
  3. I too use TV to keep my kids occupied so I can make dinner or just at least sit down for a bit myself.
    Good for you in going unplugged! I would like to do this too, but I would have a really hard time doing the computer / internet - but then again - would it count if I used my iPhone - and just did not charge it that day?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I am planning on doing this during the nicer weather days for sure. I can't do the cell phone thing as that is my phone. I hope to follow you in this soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't unplug my cell phone, but that was because I don't have internet capability and I don't text. So. If you did unplug, just use your phone to accept or make calls, and don't go online with it! :)

      Delete
  5. Hope your day is going well! I need to challenge myself with this too!

    ReplyDelete